Cumbrian man sexually assaulted woman in her bed
Last updated at 11:46, Thursday, 07 February 2013
A man who sexually assaulted a woman after going into her house and getting into her bed has been put on the sex offenders’ register.
David Ian Stewart, 31, claimed he was only there because he thought the woman wanted to have sex with him.
But the woman told a jury at Carlisle Crown Court in a trial this week that she had no such wish.
In fact she thought the man in bed with her was her boyfriend, which, she said, was why she did not struggle or stay “Stop!”.
Stewart, of Burthwaite Croft, Burthwaite, Wreay, Carlisle, pleaded not guilty to sexual assault, saying he believed the woman had consented to what he was doing.
He claimed he had had sexual contact with her in his own home about 18 months before – something she denied.
He told the jury that on the day of the assault he had been sending her “flirty” text messages after drinking a litre of vodka.
He agreed she had sent him two texts in reply – both of which she said were “clearly negative” – but he had misunderstood them at the time.
He claimed the woman’s “conversations and text messages”, allied to her body language, made him think she wanted to have sex with him.
So he went to her house, taking the fact that the door was unlocked as confirmation that she wanted sex, he said.
The house was in darkness, he said, so he went upstairs and got into her bed, although she was asleep.
Asked by prosecuting counsel David Polglase if he had been “chancing his luck”, Stewart agreed that he had.
After the jury’s unanimous guilty verdict Stewart was remanded on bail for background reports.
He will be sentenced on March 8.
First published at 11:45, Thursday, 07 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)