Cumbrian man must pay £3,000 after biting ear during fight
Published at 11:03, Friday, 23 March 2012
A Cumbrian man has been made to pay £3,000 compensation to his brother-in-law after biting his ear in a fight.
Rhys David McCartney, 33, of George Street, Whitehaven, pleaded guilty at Carlisle Crown Court to inflicting grievous bodily harm on Martin James Wilson in an incident in Alne Road, Maryport, on July 31 last year.
The court heard the “scuffling and fighting” between the two men “blew up out of nothing” and left Mr Wilson with an injury which could see him scarred for life.
“There really can be no justification whatsoever for biting a man on the ear,” Judge Peter Hughes QC told McCartney.
In addition to paying the compensation, McCartney was given a 12-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, ordered to attend a training programme to confront alcohol abuse and do 120 hours unpaid community work.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle McVitie's staff reject changes to working conditions (77 comments)
- Starlings in Carlisle city centre causing major problems (54 comments)
- 15 people transferred after major incident at north Cumbrian hospitals (101 comments)
- Woods used by 'unsavoury' men for sex chopped down (103 comments)
- Carlisle residents vow to nab speeding drivers (38 comments)
- Unpaid overtime at Cumbrian hospitals rockets (24 comments)
- St Bees School to close (134 comments)
- Battle to recover £500,000 in unpaid council tax in Carlisle (22 comments)
- Row after Cumbrian school refuses to host nuclear meeting (48 comments)
- Carlisle wine shop to close (28 comments)
- Anger over new LED street lighting in Carlisle (61 comments)
Court & crime
- Laying charges at hospital doors (5 comments)
- Looks like Yorkshire made a mi-steak with Jeremy Clarkson (7 comments)
- It’s just the ticket (2 comments)
- Why Brampton-on-Sea doesn’t float my boat
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Brampton Methodist - North Cumbria Circuit
- Brampton People Gallery
- Long-time friends set-up gym in Brampton
- Talkin Tarn Country Park
- Anger at claim homeless soldiers hostel would cause crime rise (22 comments)
- Time with young reaps benefits
- Brampton Fairtrade Town Group
- Brampton blog
- Exciting times ahead for Barrow AFC