Cumbrian man cleared of threatening passer-by with knife
Last updated at 11:52, Friday, 28 February 2014
A man accused of threatening a passer-by with a knife has been cleared.
It took a jury less than two hours to find Karl Carnochan, 31, not guilty of confronting the man with the weapon while out walking with his partner and dog.
During the trial at Carlisle Crown Court it was alleged that Mr Carnochan threatened the man on a footpath in west Cumbria because he called him fat.
The court heard that Mr Carnochan suffered from the anxiety condition dysmorphia – a body image problem.
His psychiatric social worker Charles Murray, said Mr Carnochan, of Yeathouse Road, Frizington, rarely went out of the house because of his confidence problems.
“He tries to stay away from large crowds because he is very anxious,” he said.
Mr Carnochan was accused of threatening a man on May 4 last year when he was walking with his partner Amy Fowler and their dog on a path leading to Cleator Moor.
Mr Carnochan said he heard two young people – one male and one female – describe him as fat.
Mr Carnochan earlier told the jury that he had had the knife out to carve a stick for his dog while Miss Fowler was arguing with the young couple. He added that he had gone over her to get her away from the situation but had put the knife away.
He is back in court today to be sentenced for possession of a bladed knife – a charge which he has always admitted.
First published at 11:49, Friday, 28 February 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (40 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|