Cumbrian man cleared of threatening passer-by with knife
Last updated at 11:52, Friday, 28 February 2014
A man accused of threatening a passer-by with a knife has been cleared.
It took a jury less than two hours to find Karl Carnochan, 31, not guilty of confronting the man with the weapon while out walking with his partner and dog.
During the trial at Carlisle Crown Court it was alleged that Mr Carnochan threatened the man on a footpath in west Cumbria because he called him fat.
The court heard that Mr Carnochan suffered from the anxiety condition dysmorphia – a body image problem.
His psychiatric social worker Charles Murray, said Mr Carnochan, of Yeathouse Road, Frizington, rarely went out of the house because of his confidence problems.
“He tries to stay away from large crowds because he is very anxious,” he said.
Mr Carnochan was accused of threatening a man on May 4 last year when he was walking with his partner Amy Fowler and their dog on a path leading to Cleator Moor.
Mr Carnochan said he heard two young people – one male and one female – describe him as fat.
Mr Carnochan earlier told the jury that he had had the knife out to carve a stick for his dog while Miss Fowler was arguing with the young couple. He added that he had gone over her to get her away from the situation but had put the knife away.
He is back in court today to be sentenced for possession of a bladed knife – a charge which he has always admitted.
First published at 11:49, Friday, 28 February 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)