Man admits GBH charge - but says he did not kick victim
Published at 12:29, Tuesday, 05 February 2013
A man from west Cumbria has admitted seriously hurting another man in a fight.
But 22-year-old Daniel Hodgson has denied causing the injury by kicking his victim.
And now a judge is going to have to hear evidence to decide for himself exactly what happened in the incident.
Hodgson, of John Street, Moor Row, near Cleator Moor, was charged after he was involved with several others in an attack on David Proud.
He pleaded guilty at Carlisle Crown Court to a charge of causing grievous bodily harm. But he did so only on the basis that he had not kicked Mr Proud – a basis the prosecution refused to accept.
A fact-finding hearing will be held on March 28 at which witnesses will have to tell a judge what they saw.
Hodgson will be sentenced after that.
In the meantime, he was remanded on bail for a pre-sentence report, on condition that he does not contact any prosecution witnesses.
Judge Paul Batty QC warned him that whether he went to prison could depend on whether he was found to have kicked Mr Proud.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (5 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)