Cumbrian father-of-two jailed for squalid relationship with girl
Last updated at 15:20, Wednesday, 28 March 2012
A married man who embarked on a sexual relationship with a 14-year-old girl has been sent to prison for 32 months.
Mark Hemingway, a 38-year-old father-of-two from Moor Road, Stainburn, Workington, was also ordered to register indefinitely as a sex offender and banned from having unsupervised contact with children.
At Carlisle Crown Court today, Hemingway pleaded guilty to seven charges of sexual activity with a child and one of arranging the commission of a sexual offence by planning to spend the night with her at a hotel in Chester.
The court heard Hemingway – described as “a man of exemplary character” - got to know the girl by talking to her.
He then took her out in his works van, where they engaged in various sexual acts. They did the same thing at her house when her parents were out and at his, while his wife wasn't there.
The court heard they never had full sex.
Passing sentence, Judge Paul Batty QC told Hemingway it was obvious he had been “completely besotted” by the girl and had entered a “torrid and squalid relationship” with her even though he knew how wrong it was.
First published at 13:21, Tuesday, 27 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (31 comments)
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (45 comments)
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (106 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (17 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (12 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|