X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Thursday, 28 August 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Cumbrian couple's caravan wrecked after garden bonfire spreads

People have been urged not to fear calling the fire service after a couple battled a caravan blaze themselves.

Bruce Wilson, watch manager at Carlisle East fire station, made the call after attending an incident in How Mill, near Brampton.

The couple had lit a bonfire in their garden – on How Street – yesterday afternoon. It spread under their caravan, which quickly caught fire.

Mr Wilson said the residents had spent 30 minutes unsuccessfully trying to put the fire out themselves with a hose pipe before eventually dialling 999 shortly after 1.40pm.

Crews from Carlisle and Brampton took half an hour to put the blaze out.

Mr Wilson said: “Don’t be afraid to get us out, we would rather come out to a little fire than a big one.”

The fire left the caravan, which was used for storage, badly damaged.

Nobody was injured by the blaze, however, Mr Wilson added: “I think it gave them a nasty shock.”

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Should Cumbria be given back its own fire service control centre?

Of course. We should never have lost it

Too late now. What's done is done

It was always clear that cost-cutting was being valued over lives. And so it has proved

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: