Cumbrian cabbie cleared of raping male passenger
Last updated at 11:33, Thursday, 23 February 2012
A Carlisle taxi driver has been found not guilty of raping a male passenger in his cab.
David Graham, 41, of Holly Drive, Stanwix, was acquitted by a jury at Carlisle Crown Court yesterday.
But even though Mr Graham has been cleared of the charge, Judge Peter Hughes QC called for an investigation into his fitness to be a licensed cabbie.
Mr Graham denied raping his passenger. Instead he claimed it was the other man who was guilty of assault because he forced him to commit a sex act. Mr Graham told the court that he hadn’t reported it to police because he wanted to brush it off as a ‘prank’.
This reluctance to involve police when a serious incident had occurred was one of the concerns raised by Judge Hughes.
The other was that when the passenger began to threaten him, Mr Graham switched off communications to his office.
After the case it was confirmed that his taxi licence had already been suspended
An investigation is pending.
First published at 11:26, Thursday, 23 February 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Historic Carlisle pub closing for major revamp (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new HQ: How it could look (42 comments)
- Senior Cumbrian councillor’s warning over Rotherham abuse scandal (14 comments)
- Police ask for takeaway 'bouncers' to help curb late night disorder (16 comments)
- Three Cumbrian areas named in top 10 best places to live in England (30 comments)
- Derelict former hotel in Carlisle has no owner (43 comments)
- Carlisle council gives go-ahead to city airport overhaul (124 comments)
- Lovell gets go-ahead to build 217 new homes in west Cumbria (14 comments)
- Cumbrian man tells why he has right to be forgotten on Google (16 comments)
- 64 jobs at risk as factory bosses warn of possible closure (15 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (10 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (1 comment)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|