Cumbrian cabbie cleared of raping male passenger
Last updated at 11:33, Thursday, 23 February 2012
A Carlisle taxi driver has been found not guilty of raping a male passenger in his cab.
David Graham, 41, of Holly Drive, Stanwix, was acquitted by a jury at Carlisle Crown Court yesterday.
But even though Mr Graham has been cleared of the charge, Judge Peter Hughes QC called for an investigation into his fitness to be a licensed cabbie.
Mr Graham denied raping his passenger. Instead he claimed it was the other man who was guilty of assault because he forced him to commit a sex act. Mr Graham told the court that he hadn’t reported it to police because he wanted to brush it off as a ‘prank’.
This reluctance to involve police when a serious incident had occurred was one of the concerns raised by Judge Hughes.
The other was that when the passenger began to threaten him, Mr Graham switched off communications to his office.
After the case it was confirmed that his taxi licence had already been suspended
An investigation is pending.
First published at 11:26, Thursday, 23 February 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)