Cumbrian Afghan rug on way to our troops
Published at 11:25, Monday, 24 December 2012
A GIFT from home will soon be winging its way to Cumbrian soldiers stationed out in Afghanistan.
Elizabeth Shedden, a day care patient at the Eden Valley Hospice in Carlisle, has been working with hospice volunteer Jean Pharoah delicately creating two rag rugs.
One of the rugs, which has taken just over a week to produce, is now ready to make the 3,552-mile journey to Afghanistan.
The burgundy rug, which is detailed with a golden cross, has been chosen to go out to Afghanistan while the blue rug, which also features a gold cross, will be displayed in the chapel at the hospice for patients, families and friends to enjoy. Both were made during activity sessions at the Durdar Road unit.
Elizabeth said: “I would not have been able to create the two rag rugs without the assistance of Shirley and Jean, who prepared the hessian base and cut out over 2,000 pieces of material for the rug.”
Earlier this year a selection of rag rugs made by the patients at Eden Valley Hospice Day Care went on public display at Tullie House Museum in Carlisle.
Shirley Douglas, hospice day care activities co-ordinator, said patients were given the opportunity to create a variety of homemade products, including rag rugs, candles and cards.
To find out more about the day care service go to www.evhospice.org.uk/Day-Care.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (103 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (16 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (12 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (169 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (37 comments)
- We ARE talking to a billionaire say Carlisle Utd owners (31 comments)
- State-of-the-art buses in Carlisle blasted by passengers
- Vulcan bomber thrills crowds at Carlisle fly past (6 comments)
- Cumbrian couple's wedding to be one in a Minion (5 comments)