Cumbria police find 'serious' sex footage on child's phone
Last updated at 12:08, Monday, 12 November 2012
Police found a video of a “serious sexually indecent nature” on a child’s phone.
A spokeswoman for Cumbria police revealed that the footage had been discovered after they were alerted by an adult.
She said that the child had no understanding or thought about the dangers of keeping and distributing such material.
The incident has led to a warning to parents and family members to pay more attention to the images and videos that young people have stored on phones and computer equipment.
In this incident, the people involved were “strongly advised” about the seriousness of storing and sending such images.
A spokesman from the Public Protection Unit (PPU) in west Cumbria said it was becoming common practice for young people to send images which they had no understanding of the criminal offences they may be committing.
“If any image or video product is deemed to be of an indecent nature it is a criminal offence to possess and distribute to others,” he said. “We want to encourage parents to make sure that they are aware of what is on their child’s phone or computer.
“Modern electronic devices give users the ability to share information with others on a large scale. We want to make sure that they are made aware of this and try and stop these images being distributed on a large scale across schools in Cumbria.”
Call police on 101.
First published at 11:39, Monday, 12 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (20 comments)
- Cumbria police to use drones to help tackle crime (21 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (114 comments)
- Widow's anguish as thieves target Pc Bill Barker's grave (6 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (31 comments)
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (18 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (44 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (57 comments)