Cumbria police arrest man over alleged rape
Last updated at 17:20, Monday, 10 December 2012
Detectives were today due to question a man on suspicion of rape.
A 22-year-old man was arrested following a claim made to police over the weekend.
Officers are investigating an allegation of rape and actual bodily harm at a caravan in Bridgefoot, Workington.
They say the alleged incident happened at about 9pm on Saturday.
Officers have already questioned the man.
He was released on bail last night and was due to be seen by officers again today.
Detectives with the Workington-based public protection unit are leading the investigation.
They have issued an appeal for a woman, believed to be friend of the alleged victim, who may hold information that can help with their inquiries to come forward.
She is said to havecollected the alleged victim in a car at Bridgefoot at around 10pm on Saturday and taken her to a property on Moorclose Road, Workington.
No further details about her – or the type of car she was travelling in – have so far been disclosed.
Police are also looking for a taxi driver who took the woman to Bridgefoot earlier in the evening before the alleged rape took place.
Officers are appealing for anyone with any information that may help the investigation to come forward.
Details can be passed by calling 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
First published at 17:18, Monday, 10 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)