Cumbria beacons will light up Hadrian's Wall in celebration
Last updated at 09:26, Monday, 04 June 2012
Hadrian's Wall will shine tonight when beacons to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee are lit.
Sixty official beacons will be hosted across this World Heritage Site, from South Shields to Ravenglass – each beacon representing a year of The Queen's reign. They will be lit simultaneously at 10.12pm tonight.
The Queen will light the national beacon in London at about 10.30pm.
Bruno Peek OBE MVO, Pageantmaster of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Beacons said: "We are delighted that 60 beacons are being lit along Hadrian's Wall, especially as the Wall is one of our country's most important ancient monuments.”
Linda Tuttiett, chief executive of Hadrian's Wall Heritage said: "
First published at 09:12, Monday, 04 June 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (55 comments)
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (47 comments)
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (109 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (18 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (13 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"