X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Sunday, 20 April 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Couple escape Cumbrian holiday chalet destroyed by fire

Two people have escaped from a burning chalet destroyed by fire at a north Cumbrian holiday park.

The couple were alerted by a fire alarm and smoke in the building around 11.20pm.

Fire crews from three stations - two in Carlisle and another in Wigton - rushed to The Lough at Thurstonfield, a few miles west of the city.

The couple was taken to the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle by ambulance. It is understood it was as a precautionary measure to be treated for the effects of smoke inhalation.

Watch manager Stuart Adams, of Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service, said: “The fire was in one of the wooden constructed chalets.

“The first crews turned up and did a really good job because the place was already full of smoke, even on the approach up the driveway.

“Initially it had come in as reports that there were persons inside but they’d got themselves out. They’d noticed smoke and there were alarms fitted to all the chalets.”

It is believed the cause of the fire was heat radiating from a stove.

He added: “We think it was maybe radiating heat that may be ignited things near to the stove. It has rapidly developed into a fire and it has engulfed the property.

“The chalets on there are detached so it didn’t spread but we did have to knock off the gas supplies to all of them because there’s a gas tank that serves everywhere and we had to isolate it.

“We were also able to use water from the lake they have there so were able to really go at the fire.”

Today Mr Adams has issued a warning to households across Cumbria.

He said: “We’d ask that anyone with similar stoves, if they can ensure when they are lighting them up that they don’t have items like logs and other materials nearby which could ignite from the radiating heat.”

Fire crews spent around two hours at the scene, into the early hours of Monday morning.

The fire in the chalet, which was around 10m sq, was put out using two hose reels, a main jet and two sets of breathing apparatus.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Easter - and your favourite treats will be...?

Chocolate eggs

Hot cross buns

Long walks

Time off work

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: