Couple escape Cumbrian holiday chalet destroyed by fire
Published at 11:58, Monday, 18 November 2013
Two people have escaped from a burning chalet destroyed by fire at a north Cumbrian holiday park.
The couple were alerted by a fire alarm and smoke in the building around 11.20pm.
Fire crews from three stations - two in Carlisle and another in Wigton - rushed to The Lough at Thurstonfield, a few miles west of the city.
The couple was taken to the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle by ambulance. It is understood it was as a precautionary measure to be treated for the effects of smoke inhalation.
Watch manager Stuart Adams, of Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service, said: “The fire was in one of the wooden constructed chalets.
“The first crews turned up and did a really good job because the place was already full of smoke, even on the approach up the driveway.
“Initially it had come in as reports that there were persons inside but they’d got themselves out. They’d noticed smoke and there were alarms fitted to all the chalets.”
It is believed the cause of the fire was heat radiating from a stove.
He added: “We think it was maybe radiating heat that may be ignited things near to the stove. It has rapidly developed into a fire and it has engulfed the property.
“The chalets on there are detached so it didn’t spread but we did have to knock off the gas supplies to all of them because there’s a gas tank that serves everywhere and we had to isolate it.
“We were also able to use water from the lake they have there so were able to really go at the fire.”
Today Mr Adams has issued a warning to households across Cumbria.
He said: “We’d ask that anyone with similar stoves, if they can ensure when they are lighting them up that they don’t have items like logs and other materials nearby which could ignite from the radiating heat.”
Fire crews spent around two hours at the scene, into the early hours of Monday morning.
The fire in the chalet, which was around 10m sq, was put out using two hose reels, a main jet and two sets of breathing apparatus.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Historic Carlisle pub closing for major revamp (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new HQ: How it could look (42 comments)
- Senior Cumbrian councillor’s warning over Rotherham abuse scandal (14 comments)
- Police ask for takeaway 'bouncers' to help curb late night disorder (16 comments)
- Three Cumbrian areas named in top 10 best places to live in England (30 comments)
- Derelict former hotel in Carlisle has no owner (43 comments)
- Carlisle council gives go-ahead to city airport overhaul (124 comments)
- Lovell gets go-ahead to build 217 new homes in west Cumbria (14 comments)
- Cumbrian man tells why he has right to be forgotten on Google (16 comments)
- 64 jobs at risk as factory bosses warn of possible closure (15 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (10 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (1 comment)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|