Concert fundraiser for Cumbrian mum's bucket list
Last updated at 16:09, Monday, 10 June 2013
A tribute band will host a charity concert to raise money for a west Cumbrian girl and her “bucket list”.
Mel Smye, who has battled breast cancer for the past five years, was recently hit with the devastating news that it had spread to her spine.
This prompted her 11-year-old daughter Kate, from Lowca, to make a “bucket list” of dreams that she wants to fulfil with her mum and 15-year-old brother.
Mel, who works at Center Parcs in Penrith, said the family had been overwhelmed by the public response since Kate launched her appeal on Facebook.
The latest volunteers are Five and Dangerous, who have announced they will play the special concert in The Paul Jones pub, Whitehaven, next Thursday (June 20).
Bob Cullen, from the band, said: “My heart truly goes out to Mel and her family and the lads didn't think twice when I mentioned we should do something for her.”
There will be an entry fee, with all proceeds going towards Kate’s bucket list fund.
Entitled One Night Only, the concert will see the Thin Lizzy tribute act perform the entire classic album Live and Dangerous in the correct order.
Original bass player Dave Polkey – who founded the band – has even agreed to play on the night.
First published at 16:08, Monday, 10 June 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|