Carlisle woman in court for crime number 345
Last updated at 11:45, Tuesday, 28 January 2014
A thief with around 350 crimes to her name has been back in court shortly after being released from jail.
Theresa Helen Cook, who had nearly 350 offences on her record in December, appeared before magistrates in Carlisle for shoplifting.
She admitted taking Ariel liquid gels, worth £9.18, from the Spar on Petteril Bank Road in Harraby, Carlisle on Friday.
The court heard how a member of staff told the manager that something had been stolen the previous day and, when the CCTV was checked, it showed Cook hiding the gels on her person then paying for a chewy bar and leaving the shop.
Police were called and Cook, of Greengarth, Upperby, was later spotted walking on London Road. She was searched and arrested.
Defence solicitor Martin McAllister told district judge Gerald Chalk that Cook had recently been released from prison and had “no benefits and no money”.
“She stole to buy food,” he said. “This is an endless merry go round.”
He said she had no money for weeks and ended up stealing. He said she asked for the theft of a bottle of gin to be taken into account when sentenced.
When Cook was last in court, also for shoplifting, the court heard how she had an “horrendous record”, with 243 crimes of theft and similar offences, and a total of 344 crimes.
She was jailed for 80 days last month and yesterday fined £60 for the thefts, and ordered to pay £85 court costs and a £20 victim surcharge. She was also told to pay compensation to the shop.
First published at 11:41, Tuesday, 28 January 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (103 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (16 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (12 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (169 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (37 comments)
- We ARE talking to a billionaire say Carlisle Utd owners (31 comments)
- State-of-the-art buses in Carlisle blasted by passengers
- Vulcan bomber thrills crowds at Carlisle fly past (6 comments)
- Cumbrian couple's wedding to be one in a Minion (5 comments)