Thursday, 26 November 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Carlisle woman dies after routine operation at city hospital

A woman died after contracting an infection following gallstone surgery at Carlisle’s Cumberland Infirmary.

Lisa Watson photo
Jason and Lisa Watson on their wedding day

Lisa Watson, 41 – described as “one of the kindest people you would meet” – was taken ill when she came home after her operation.

Her grieving husband, Jason, has paid tribute to his wife while saying he wants to know how she could develop problems after having gallstones – a condition which the NHS says rarely leads to death.

The coroner is looking into the case while the hospital says it will be “carrying out a robust review”.

Mrs Watson, of Caldbeck Road, off Wigton Road in Carlisle, went into hospital for surgery for gallstone problems in February but had to return for further surgery on two occasions when the problem could not be rectified.

She came home after the last operation and said she was feeling tired, said Mr Watson, 44.

The following day he returned from work and asked how she was.

‘She said, ‘I’m struggling to breathe’,” said Mr Watson. “We got her to the hospital.”

He said his wife was examined, placed in a room and given medication.

“Then they turned round and said your wife is really, really poorly. We really need her in intensive care,” added Mr Watson.”

He added he was told she had to be resuscitated before then having a cardiac arrest in intensive care.

“They took me in a room and told me they couldn’t resuscitate her,” he said. “They said there was an infection.”

Mr Watson was told she had developed sepsis, a potentially life-threatening condition triggered by an infection.

He said: “I thought it was just a procedure to deal with the gallstones. I wasn’t expecting to bury her.

“She had been fine.”

More than 200 people turned out for the funeral at Carlisle Crematorium of Mrs Watson, who had worked at Capital Hair and Beauty, which supplies to professional hairdressers from Carlisle’s Kingstown industrial estate.

Mr Watson, who works for construction firm Story Contracting, said his wife, originally from Aspatria, was “very happy, very bubbly and enjoyed life”.

“She was one of the kindest people you’d meet,” he said. “She’d do anything for anybody. Even if she didn’t have time she would still make time.”

The couple, who met on a blind date, had been together for 14 years and were married in 2006. Mrs Watson died on July 31.

“I’m gutted,” said Mr Watson. “But it’s not just me, it’s everybody else. She was in a lot of people’s lives.

“It’s a big shock. Nobody expected it.

“I want to know what’s happened. I know it won’t bring her back but we don’t want it to happen to other people.”

David Roberts, coroner for North and West Cumbria, confirmed the case had been referred to his office.

He said: “My inquiries continue and a decision will be made in due course as to whether an inquest will be necessary.”

A spokeswoman for North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust said: “We have been in touch with Mr Watson directly and, as with all deaths that now occur in our hospitals, we will be carrying out a robust review.”


News & Star What's On search


What do you think of rail services in Cumbria?

Good. But there is always room for improvement

Not good: There needs to be much more investment

I rarely travel by rail

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: