X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Saturday, 25 October 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Carlisle woman cleared of tongs attack at barbecue

A mother accused of attacking her neighbour with a pair of tongs after an argument over a barbecue has been cleared.

Related: Carlisle woman denies tongs attack at barbecue

Lisa Scott, 45, of Denton Holme, had previously been accused of assaulting neighbour Mark Connolly causing him actual bodily harm.

Carlisle Crown Court had heard how Mrs Scott and Mr Connolly at the time of the incident, on July 15 last year, had lived in houses on neighbouring East Dale Street and Denton Street that shared a yard.

The neighbours had become embroiled in an argument in the yard over the barbecue which led to the alleged incident resulting in a scratch injury to Mr Connollly's face.

Mrs Scott had not denied striking Mr Connolly with the tongs but said that she only hit him because she wanted to stop him from throwing the lit barbecue over the fence, endangering her children who had been outside.

Summarising Judge Peter Hughes QC said: “There plainly is a history of Mr Connolly regarding the part of the back yard of being for his exclusive use.

"He told police there's been a woman putting stuff out in the back yard, my part of the back yard. He said to her if she didn't move the barbecue to her side of the yard he would call the police.”

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Which of the maternity options for west Cumbria would you prefer?

Consultant-led maternity unit in Whitehaven

Midwife-led unit in Whitehaven

All services in Carlisle

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: