Carlisle woman admits lying about being raped
Published at 14:27, Monday, 30 April 2012
A woman has admitted lying about being raped in a Carlisle city centre car park.
Takara Jayne Harding, 18, falsely claimed she had been the victim of a terrifying attack in the early hours of the morning, a court heard today.
Harding, of Low Meadow, Raffles, Carlisle, said she had been sexually assaulted at the Town Dyke Orchard car park, below West Walls, on October 1.
But just over a week later she came clean and told police she had made it up. Detectives spent more than 500 hours investigating the invented crime
Harding, appearing at Carlisle Magistrates Court, admitted causing the wasteful employment of police.
She was sentenced to 16 weeks in custody, suspended for a year and given a community order which will include six months of supervision.
She was also ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work and pay £85 costs.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (40 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|