Carlisle woman admits lying about being raped
Published at 14:27, Monday, 30 April 2012
A woman has admitted lying about being raped in a Carlisle city centre car park.
Takara Jayne Harding, 18, falsely claimed she had been the victim of a terrifying attack in the early hours of the morning, a court heard today.
Harding, of Low Meadow, Raffles, Carlisle, said she had been sexually assaulted at the Town Dyke Orchard car park, below West Walls, on October 1.
But just over a week later she came clean and told police she had made it up. Detectives spent more than 500 hours investigating the invented crime
Harding, appearing at Carlisle Magistrates Court, admitted causing the wasteful employment of police.
She was sentenced to 16 weeks in custody, suspended for a year and given a community order which will include six months of supervision.
She was also ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work and pay £85 costs.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)