Carlisle woman admits lying about being raped
Published at 14:27, Monday, 30 April 2012
A woman has admitted lying about being raped in a Carlisle city centre car park.
Takara Jayne Harding, 18, falsely claimed she had been the victim of a terrifying attack in the early hours of the morning, a court heard today.
Harding, of Low Meadow, Raffles, Carlisle, said she had been sexually assaulted at the Town Dyke Orchard car park, below West Walls, on October 1.
But just over a week later she came clean and told police she had made it up. Detectives spent more than 500 hours investigating the invented crime
Harding, appearing at Carlisle Magistrates Court, admitted causing the wasteful employment of police.
She was sentenced to 16 weeks in custody, suspended for a year and given a community order which will include six months of supervision.
She was also ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work and pay £85 costs.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (55 comments)
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (47 comments)
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (109 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (18 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (13 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"