Carlisle takeaway man received series of racist abuse calls
Last updated at 12:22, Saturday, 03 March 2012
A Carlisle takeaway worker from Cyprus was bombarded with racist abuse in a series of abusive phone calls from one of his customers.
Crown court judge Peter Hughes QC was told how the man, who worked at a shop in The Crescent, had 24 abusive calls in the space of a few hours on a day in June of last year.
Mark Hodson, 23, of Aglionby Street, pleaded guilty to a racially aggravated harassment offence.
Prosecutor Dick Binstead described how the victim began getting abusive calls on June 19 last year. Over four days, he was getting about 20 such calls a day.
In one, the caller told him: “Give me £500 or I will kill you.” In other calls, Hodson uttered racist insults. The calls sometimes lasted for up to 20 minutes, and at other times for just a few seconds.
Police traced the calls to Hodson’s mobile phone. They found him living in a property which offers support to people with learning difficulties.
When questioned, Hodson said that he had made the threats “for a laugh” but that he had no intention of carrying out his threats.
He went on to say that he was not racist, liked the food from the shop, and that he was sorry for his conduct.
Judge Hughes made a guardianship order which he said would ensure Hodson would get the support the needed from the county council’s social services department.
First published at 09:04, Saturday, 03 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Widow's anguish as thieves target Pc Bill Barker's grave (5 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (25 comments)
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (17 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (39 comments)
- Carlisle residents too scared to walk down road without footpath (20 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (53 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (33 comments)
- Call for action after crash at accident 'blackspot' near Carlisle (29 comments)
Court & crime
- Teenage motorist caught in Carlisle nearly three times drink-drive limit
- Carlisle driver so drunk he didn’t recall getting into car
- Carlisle man's £279 bill after damaging £29 pillow in police cell
- Carlisle arsonist told to expect jail for endangering her parents lives
- Party man left fighting for life after being stabbed in stomach
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Chef who hanged himself faced trial for four child sex charges
- Late show fells Millom
- Dalton zoo boss brings seasonal cheer with free admission
- BOMB TEAM CALLED TO SEASCALE BEACH
- Names found for the classmates of 1952
- Holker rock Blackpool
- Dowdales school
- Dalton zoo gets go-ahead to change entrance at its new car park (17 comments)
- Help your pet to enjoy summer
- Fire boss grilled over future of Dalton fire station