Carlisle takeaway man received series of racist abuse calls
Last updated at 12:22, Saturday, 03 March 2012
A Carlisle takeaway worker from Cyprus was bombarded with racist abuse in a series of abusive phone calls from one of his customers.
Crown court judge Peter Hughes QC was told how the man, who worked at a shop in The Crescent, had 24 abusive calls in the space of a few hours on a day in June of last year.
Mark Hodson, 23, of Aglionby Street, pleaded guilty to a racially aggravated harassment offence.
Prosecutor Dick Binstead described how the victim began getting abusive calls on June 19 last year. Over four days, he was getting about 20 such calls a day.
In one, the caller told him: “Give me £500 or I will kill you.” In other calls, Hodson uttered racist insults. The calls sometimes lasted for up to 20 minutes, and at other times for just a few seconds.
Police traced the calls to Hodson’s mobile phone. They found him living in a property which offers support to people with learning difficulties.
When questioned, Hodson said that he had made the threats “for a laugh” but that he had no intention of carrying out his threats.
He went on to say that he was not racist, liked the food from the shop, and that he was sorry for his conduct.
Judge Hughes made a guardianship order which he said would ensure Hodson would get the support the needed from the county council’s social services department.
First published at 09:04, Saturday, 03 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Dozens of operations cancelled at Carlisle hospital (25 comments)
- Huge potholes making Cumbrian residents' lives a misery (18 comments)
- Cumbria police must have redesign to survive (12 comments)
- Carlisle shop for sale with warning not to tell staff (21 comments)
- Wealthy peer funds Labour to help unseat Tories in Carlisle (46 comments)
- Cumbrian postcode with fewest burglaries revealed (7 comments)
- Dog suffers horrific injuries in attack on Carlisle street (23 comments)
- Cumbria crime panel backs council tax increase plan (15 comments)
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (14 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|