Carlisle Penny Blacks letter sells for £3,000
Published at 11:42, Thursday, 15 May 2014
A letter that cost six pennies to send has been sold for £3,480.
The letter, posted on October 24 1840, fetched three times its estimate and features six Penny Black stamps. It was sent to Carlisle solicitor George Mounsey five months after the introduction of the UK’s first adhesive stamp.
The letter is simply addressed to ‘G.G.Mounsey, Bishops Registrar, Carlisle’ and managed to find its way from Hawick despite not having a street name or number, which suggests that Mr Mounsey was well known.
A letter in 1840 only needed one stamp but his probably contained legal documents, hence the six. According to the 1841 census, Mr Mounsey was living at Castle Street, Carlisle.
The letter was sold by Spink, in Bloomsbury, London.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)