Saturday, 05 September 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Carlisle man goes free from court after judge rules no case to answer

A Carlisle man has been released from prison after a judge ruled there was no case to answer.

John Carney, 33, of Lightfoot Drive, Harraby, had been remanded in custody after being charged with assault and criminal damage. However, at Carlisle Crown Court prosecutors said that his accuser had not provided reliable evidence.

They also revealed there was video footage – shot by Mr Carney using his mobile phone during the alleged incident – which was “significant”.

Appearing via video link at Carlisle Crown Court, Mr Carney pleaded not guilty to assaulting Jacqueline Henderson. He also denied damaging doors and a banister at her home.

Tim Evans, prosecuting, initially asked for the case to be adjourned because the medical evidence provided was not consistent with the injuries which were alleged. He added: “The scratches that the complainant has are capable of being self-inflicted.”

Mr Evans said that she also had a past history of making complaints that were not successful. “There is a video recording on the defendant’s phone that is very significant to the case,” he said.

Recorder John Corless ruled that as the prosecution no longer wished to continue proceedings – and offered no evidence – together with Mr Carney’s two not guilty pleas, the case would not continue.

He added: “When this hearing is finished you will be processed and released from custody.”

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Do you believe Cumbria will be part of the northern powerhouse?

Of course it will. Any shift north is good

No. It's already clear we're not part of it

Only if we speak up and demand to be involved

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: