Carlisle man cleared of raping teenager
Published at 11:13, Saturday, 26 October 2013
A man has been cleared of raping a teenager following a trial at Carlisle Crown Court.
Gary Pipes, 46, of Carlisle, was found not guilty by a jury yesterday afternoon.
The court had earlier heard Mr Pipes admit to having sex with the 18-year-old at his flat. He said it was consensual when he gave evidence on Thursday.
The jury had been told how Mr Pipes had picked up the young woman in Newtown Road after she flagged down his car thinking it was a taxi.
He had told her he was not a taxi but offered to give her a lift to her father’s home. When they arrived and there was no reply, the pair ended up at his flat.
Mr Pipes was living in a flat in Bellgarth Square, off Newtown Road, at the time of the incident last December after separating from his wife.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (5 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Staff devastated after fire destroys part of Cumbrian hospital (1 comment)
- Police warning of fishmonger scam
- Mercy plea from army bosses saves Carlisle soldier from prison
- Carlisle Utd on the brink of 'exciting' new investment (22 comments)
- Cumbrian woman banned from 45 shops after stealing £1 milkshake
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)