Carlisle judge slams decision not to prosecute wedding bus troublemaker
Last updated at 12:23, Wednesday, 07 November 2012
A judge has condemned as “nonsense” a decision not to prosecute a trouble-maker on a bus taking guests home to Workington after a wedding.
One man caught up in the brawl appeared at Carlisle Crown Court for a relatively minor assault.
But the one who started it all – and allegedly went on to commit a much more serious offence by kicking a fellow guest on the ground outside the bus – has not been charged with any offence at all.
The court was told that that man, named in court as Kyle Mackay, had escaped prosecution because the evidence against him was considered too weak.
But after reading the prosecution evidence the judge, Recorder Kevin Grice, slammed the decision not to take Mr Mackay to court.
“I find that decision quite extraordinary.” he said. “For someone to say there was insufficient evidence to prosecute him is nonsense.”
He said it was obvious that Mr Mackay had been “the source of the trouble”, and that if he had not behaved so badly none of the trouble that followed would have happened.
“The most serious aspect of this entire episode, unedifying as it was, from start to finish, was the kick on the ground administered by Kyle Mackay. I think it is important to investigate why such an incident is not the subject of any charge at all.”
The judge said there was nothing he could do to alter the decision, but instructed that his comments be passed on to the Crown Prosecution Service.
The court heard the trouble broke out on the hired coach as it headed back to Workington from the reception in Lorton after the wedding at Loweswater Church on May 27. At least six of the 21 passengers were involved, and the driver was “trapped in the driving seat” after being hit on the head.
In court yesterday the one man charged with any offence pleaded guilty to offences of common affray and common assault on fellow passenger Christopher Morrison, who was trying to act as peace-maker.
Paul Milburn Briggs, 37, admitted elbowing Mr Morrison when he lashed out after someone grabbed him.
Briggs, of Westfield Drive, Workington, was remanded on bail for background reports and will be sentenced on December 11.
First published at 12:05, Wednesday, 07 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Government backs plan to divert traffic away from Warwick Bridge (19 comments)
- A595 is Cumbria's most dangerous road, police figures show (28 comments)
- Calls for action on future of derelict Carlisle hotel (35 comments)
- Improving A66 and A69 road 'very tricky and complex' says highways boss (48 comments)
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (62 comments)
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (50 comments)
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (116 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (36 comments)
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (17 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Time running out to enter CN Group Business Awards
- New people wanted for Cumbria's LEP board
- Carlisle's Bendalls Engineering clinches big Sellafield contracts
- US billionaire buys north Cumbrian brewery
- Travelodge chain identifies Keswick for new hotel
- Accountancy giant Baker Tilly takes over Cumbrian consultancy
- Number of insolvencies down in Cumbria last year
- Cumbrian print firm's poster goes viral - but fails to attract trainees
- Ex-MP Martlew says Nestle blocked pension trustee role
- National award for Carlisle apprentice
- Houses without water in Carlisle
- Brave Carlisle security man reunited with dog he saved from fire
- Whitehaven Gymnastics Club's Four Day Camp
- Commissioner: We are offering greater support to Cumbria's crime victims
- Cumbria's under-fire children's department faces critical six months
- Cumbrian town to lose its final bank
- Carlisle judge sees 36 in court on insurance scam charges
- Duck shot in west Cumbria
- Family unhurt after car explodes into flames on busy street
- Cumbria police arrest teenagers after alleged robbery