Carlisle court tells fraudster to pay back £45,000 in 28 days or face jail term
Last updated at 11:42, Saturday, 03 March 2012
A fraudster whose victims included a Cumbrian man has been told to repay more than £45,000 of his ill-gotten gains within 28 days – or face 15 months in prison.
A judge at Carlisle Crown Court this week ruled that Londoner Micky Tanko, 39, benefited from his crimes to the tune of £528,677.
The ruling follows a Cumbria police investigation into a deception in the county in 2004, when Tanko, of Westminister Gardens, Barking, London, was prosecuted for a deception offence.
Working with others, Tanko tried to con his victim out of £42,000. After his release from jail, Tanko was arrested by officers from the Metropolitan Police, who uncovered bank accounts and monies obtained through money laundering.
He was prosecuted for money laundering and admitted five counts of in July 2010 at Carlisle Crown Court when he was given a suspended 12 months jail term. Tanko was back before the court again this week for a Proceeds of Crime hearing brought by Cumbria police.
Kate Needham, a police financial investigator, said: “If he fails to pay, he will lengthen his jail term.”
First published at 09:05, Saturday, 03 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|