Carlisle community group wants residents to talk about where they live
Last updated at 08:38, Tuesday, 20 May 2014
A community action group wants people to speak up about where they live.
Harraby Together We Can is playing an important role in the Carlisle estate’s evolution.
Its views have formed part of the plans to create a new £12.3 million school with a sport and community campus at the former North Cumbria Technology College site on Edgehill Road.
And its members are keen to make the group’s voice even louder.
To that end, people are being encouraged to turn out for a meeting today.
Newly-elected chairwoman Anne Dalton has been involved in the organisation for more than six years.
She said: “While being involved in the group we have developed Harraby’s green spaces and play areas, worked with police to make sure people feel safe in the area and successfully campaigned to develop the old NCTC site into something the community can use.”
Vice chairman Billy Jackson added: “As well as trying to make things better for the area, we also help bring groups together, create links between neighbours and help organise events such as the Big Lunch on June 1.”
The group currently has 30 people attending regular meetings, which are held every two months at Harraby Community Centre.
For Anne, the meetings are more than just about talking.
“As chair, it’s important to me that people come along to have their say and represent the views and opinions of the Harraby community, then it’s up to us to raise these issues with those who can do something about it,” she added.
Among the other who attends are councillors and representatives of other community groups.
Cyril Weber, who represents Harraby on Carlisle city and Cumbria county councils, was instrumental in the action group’s launch in 2007.
He is keen for more residents to get involved and said: “At our next meeting we are planning to discuss the development of the BMX track, set up sub groups for fundraising and developing a website for Harraby.
“If you care about where you live then please come along and find out more.”
Today’s meeting starts at 6pm.
First published at 08:36, Tuesday, 20 May 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (22 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (44 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (40 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (139 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years