Carlisle car crash driver fled scene leaving passenger unconscious
Last updated at 12:38, Saturday, 24 March 2012
A driver who crashed into a wall left one passenger unconscious as he fled the scene.
Robert Andrew Dalton, 45, hit the wall on Currock Road after taking a corner too quickly, Carlisle magistrates’ court heard.
Dalton, of Cant Crescent, Upperby, Carlisle, walked away from the car with the front seat passenger, leaving two other in the back.
One was unconscious but still breathing, he said.
He told the court he heard ambulance sirens and just “panicked”.
Dalton had been due to go on trial yesterday accused of driving without due care and attention but changed his plea to guilty.
The court heard how he was driving a Renault Megane on August 20 last year when the accident happened. Dalton phoned the police the next day to admit he was the driver. He had pleaded guilty earlier to a charge of failing to report an accident. He said the road was wet and he just lost control of the car.
Dalton was fined £100 plus prosecution costs of £150 and a victim’s surcharge of £15.
He was given five penalty points on his licence – taking the total to 11. Magistrates warned him one more point could lead to a driving ban.
First published at 08:59, Saturday, 24 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)