Carlisle car crash driver fled scene leaving passenger unconscious
Last updated at 12:38, Saturday, 24 March 2012
A driver who crashed into a wall left one passenger unconscious as he fled the scene.
Robert Andrew Dalton, 45, hit the wall on Currock Road after taking a corner too quickly, Carlisle magistrates’ court heard.
Dalton, of Cant Crescent, Upperby, Carlisle, walked away from the car with the front seat passenger, leaving two other in the back.
One was unconscious but still breathing, he said.
He told the court he heard ambulance sirens and just “panicked”.
Dalton had been due to go on trial yesterday accused of driving without due care and attention but changed his plea to guilty.
The court heard how he was driving a Renault Megane on August 20 last year when the accident happened. Dalton phoned the police the next day to admit he was the driver. He had pleaded guilty earlier to a charge of failing to report an accident. He said the road was wet and he just lost control of the car.
Dalton was fined £100 plus prosecution costs of £150 and a victim’s surcharge of £15.
He was given five penalty points on his licence – taking the total to 11. Magistrates warned him one more point could lead to a driving ban.
First published at 08:59, Saturday, 24 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (103 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (16 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (12 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (169 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (37 comments)
- We ARE talking to a billionaire say Carlisle Utd owners (31 comments)
- State-of-the-art buses in Carlisle blasted by passengers
- Vulcan bomber thrills crowds at Carlisle fly past (6 comments)
- Cumbrian couple's wedding to be one in a Minion (5 comments)