Carlisle bridge drama woman apologises for traffic chaos
Last updated at 11:35, Thursday, 10 July 2014
A woman involved in a three-hour stand-off after threatening to jump from a bridge has apologised for the chaos she caused.
Police said the woman was remorseful to officers following the drama over one of Carlisle’s busiest roads which brought the city to a grinding halt.
Motorists were left gridlocked for hours after emergency services closed Castle Way to deal with the alert.
Officers had been called to the Irishgate Bridge – the pedestrian walkway over the dual carriageway – to reports over concerns for the welfare of a woman who was threatening to jump.
She was later taken to the Cumberland Infirmary and given medical support.
A force spokeswoman said: “The woman showed her remorse to police officers following the incident and the disruption caused.”
Eyewitnesses described the woman, dressed in a turquoise hooded jumper, blue trousers and white trainers, as being sat on one of the bridge supports above Castle Way.
Two fire engines, a fire service response car, two police vans and an ambulance were all at the scene as police closed the road between the Dalston Road junction and Hardwicke Circus roundabout.
With vehicles diverted along Junction Street and through the city centre, it left motorists stuck in traffic for hours.
It also had a knock-on effect on traffic trying to leave the nearby Sainsbury’s store, with some people reportedly stuck for up to an hour.
The woman was not injured.
First published at 11:18, Thursday, 10 July 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)