Carlisle biker filmed with arms in air before serious crash
Last updated at 11:49, Wednesday, 02 May 2012
A motorcyclist who suffered serious injuries in a crash had earlier been filmed riding while standing up with his arms in the air, a court heard.
Phone footage also showed Sam Queen, 19, from Carlisle, driving at high speed before crashing on the A6 at Shap Beck Gate.
Carlisle magistrates were told that Queen, of Raffles Avenue, Raffles, suffered “life changing” injuries including broken ribs and a punctured lung in the smash and had to have his spleen removed.
But when later shown the footage by police, he seemed “rather excited” to be looking at the pictures, officers said.
Queen admitted dangerous driving during a court appearance this week.
Adrienne Harris, prosecuting, said he had no convictions, had never been in trouble before and had passed a motorcycle test that limited him to riding bikes of a certain power until 2013.
But he bought a Yamaha that was not restricted to that level. On the day of the smash in August last year, he set off on the bike with a friend riding pillion on the A6.
The friend was not involved in the crash, which the court heard could have been fatal.
A phone seized had three videos on it. Ms Harris told the court: “The first recording shows the motorbike being driven in excessive speed on the A6.
“The second footage showed the rider standing up with his arms in the air.
“It is a clear case of showing off while driving.”
Queen, in mitigation, told the court that officers had misinterpreted his reaction to the footage as excitement.
He added: “I’m sorry for what I’ve done. I’ve definitely learned from my mistake.
“I haven’t been on a bike since. I’m quite scared of them now.”
Magistrates declined jurisdiction and sent the case to crown court for sentencing at a later date.
First published at 11:27, Wednesday, 02 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)