X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Friday, 06 March 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Calls for u-turn on Carlisle play area decision

More than 1,300 people have called for swings and slides to be put back into Carlisle’s play areas.

Jeff Bomford, of Botcherby, handed the hefty petition to city councillors at a meeting on Tuesday.

It demands that the council reinstalls the equipment at the sites it has ripped it out of so far.

Mr Bomford said: “Children in Botcherby have been left with only three parks, which is nowhere near adequate for the number of children in the community.

“There’s no equipment for toddlers and two to five-year-olds have to be taken much further away.”

City councillor for Burgh John Collier accused the council of acting like a communist state after bulldozers were sent into some play areas at dawn.

He also called on leaders to apologise to Carlisle residents.

Elsie Martlew, deputy leader, said: “I have been happy to work with community groups to shape future management of the play areas.
”I think the way forward is for the council to work in partnership with the community.”

The cash-strapped authority said removing the equipment could save it up to £400,000

 

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Are Cumbria's young people losing out on the life-chances they deserve?

Yes. They always have. We're the country's forgotten outpost

No. Young people make their own chances. Life offers no handouts

Expectations are low, jobs scarce - they have to leave Cumbria to find success

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: