Wigton kebab shop on shortlist for best in Britain title
Last updated at 12:39, Friday, 30 November 2012
A kebab shop in Wigton is in the running to be named Britain’s best.
The Alternative Takeaway, on High Street, has been nominated in the inaugural British Kebab Awards.
It has been put forward by the town’s MP Rory Stewart, ahead of a ceremony to be held in the Houses of Parliament.
He said: “I very much enjoyed a recent visit to Alternative Takeaway, and found the kebabs of excellent quality. It’s incredibly important to show businesses in small, rural market towns such as Wigton are able to compete on a national level.
“I see no reason why Alternative Takeaway could not do very well at these inaugural awards.
“They certainly have my strong support,” said the Penrith and the Border MP.
The British Kebab Awards aim to highlight the industry’s £1bn-plus worth to the UK economy.
First published at 12:36, Friday, 30 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (44 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (40 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (139 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years