The spice is right for curry houses
Published at 11:37, Thursday, 16 December 2010
TWO curry houses in Carlisle have won top prizes in The Spice Times Restaurant Awards.
Multi-award winning curry house The Viceroy, on Rigg Street, has been voted the best in the north west.
And the Dhaka Tandoori on London Road, Carleton – which is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year – was voted Best Local Restaurant in north-west England in the same awards.
The Viceroy award comes just weeks after it scooped a fifth British Curry Award and is the first accolade won by the business since founder Sukur Ali handed control to son Alamgir earlier this year.
The latest honour was presented at a gala dinner in Romford, Essex, hosted by ITV Daybreak presenter Tasmin Lucia Khan and Syed Ahmed, a former contestant on BBC’s The Apprentice show.
The Bangladeshi High Commissioner Dr Mohammad Sayeedur Rahman Khan was guest of honour.
Alamagir Ali collected the award on behalf of the Viceroy.
He said: ‘This is a great honour to win such a nice award. I’d like to thank my family and friends for all their support – especially my dad and a big thank-you to all the customers who voted for us.”
Representatives from the Dhaka were also at the ceremony to collect their award.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)