Rural growth scheme pilot is 'fabulous news' for Cumbria - claim
Last updated at 12:53, Friday, 23 March 2012
A Cumbrian business leader has described as “fabulous” a Government decision to include Cumbria in a multi-million pound project to boost rural economies that could create almost 1,000 jobs.
George Osborne announced in the Budget that the county had been chosen to pilot its Rural Growth Network scheme, which could see up to 480 new companies launched in the county.
Although the Chancellor did not mention the scheme in his speech to MPs on Wednesday, ministers released the news to coincide with the Budget statement.
Under the proposal, 11 hubs will be created across Cumbria through which rural businesses will be able to access help with networking, training, business support and premises.
Six of the 11 sites will also see new business units built.
The county was included after a bid was submitted by the county’s Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP).
Rob Johnston, chief executive of Cumbria Chamber of Commerce, who was involved in the bid, said: “The announcement of Cumbria as of one of the Government’s Rural Growth Network pilots is fabulous news.
“This will bring millions of pounds of funding into the county and provide a real boost to rural businesses and to our economy.”
First published at 11:23, Friday, 23 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (22 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (44 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (40 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (139 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years