Rural growth scheme pilot is 'fabulous news' for Cumbria - claim
Last updated at 12:53, Friday, 23 March 2012
A Cumbrian business leader has described as “fabulous” a Government decision to include Cumbria in a multi-million pound project to boost rural economies that could create almost 1,000 jobs.
George Osborne announced in the Budget that the county had been chosen to pilot its Rural Growth Network scheme, which could see up to 480 new companies launched in the county.
Although the Chancellor did not mention the scheme in his speech to MPs on Wednesday, ministers released the news to coincide with the Budget statement.
Under the proposal, 11 hubs will be created across Cumbria through which rural businesses will be able to access help with networking, training, business support and premises.
Six of the 11 sites will also see new business units built.
The county was included after a bid was submitted by the county’s Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP).
Rob Johnston, chief executive of Cumbria Chamber of Commerce, who was involved in the bid, said: “The announcement of Cumbria as of one of the Government’s Rural Growth Network pilots is fabulous news.
“This will bring millions of pounds of funding into the county and provide a real boost to rural businesses and to our economy.”
First published at 11:23, Friday, 23 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Historic Carlisle pub closing for major revamp (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new HQ: How it could look (42 comments)
- Senior Cumbrian councillor’s warning over Rotherham abuse scandal (14 comments)
- Police ask for takeaway 'bouncers' to help curb late night disorder (16 comments)
- Three Cumbrian areas named in top 10 best places to live in England (30 comments)
- Derelict former hotel in Carlisle has no owner (43 comments)
- Carlisle council gives go-ahead to city airport overhaul (124 comments)
- Lovell gets go-ahead to build 217 new homes in west Cumbria (14 comments)
- Cumbrian man tells why he has right to be forgotten on Google (16 comments)
- 64 jobs at risk as factory bosses warn of possible closure (15 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (10 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (1 comment)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|