Kitchen appliances firm wants to take over empty Cumbrian car showroom
Last updated at 12:05, Saturday, 28 April 2012
A Workington white goods firm plans to expand by moving to new premises and creating at least three full-time jobs.
Genesis Home Appliances wants to take over the former Graham & Bowness showroom near its existing premises at Clay Flatts.
A planning application has been lodged with Allerdale council to change the building’s use to a warehouse and sales area.
Agent Bob Metcalfe, of MJN Associates, said that the business, which sells items including ovens, washing machines and tumble dryers, hoped to take over the premises by the summer.
He said if planning permission is granted, negotiations for the showroom would take place.
If it managed to buy the building, Genesis would close its current premises and move there.
Graham & Bowness recently closed after more than 30 years in the town, with the loss of 11 jobs.
The Renault dealership closed because of changes within the manufacturer’s business, including a reduction in its car range and a new focus on electric cars.
John Riley, director of Genesis Home Appliances, declined to comment.
First published at 08:59, Saturday, 28 April 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|