Free festive bus in west Cumbria could be extended
Last updated at 13:02, Friday, 11 January 2013
A free bus service which runs on Boxing Day in Workington could be extended to Maryport and Cockermouth this year.
Alistair Grey, 60, secretary of Workington Transport Heritage Trust, said trust members were considering extending the service after the success of Boxing Day 2012.
The trust runs the annual service using one of its classic buses to help people visit friends and loved ones, and go to the shops.
Volunteers link Seaton with Workington bus station, Moorclose, Salterbeck and Harrington.
Around 270 passengers travelled free on a 33-year-old Leyland National bus last Boxing Day – up from 250 passengers in 2011.
And Mr Grey thinks there is demand to run to Cockermouth and Maryport. He said: “We had a great day. It was really popular.
“With these things if you are still doing the same thing year after year you stagnate. You have to keep developing things.
“We have made no decisions yet but it is something we are thinking about.”
The trust also ran a service to Maryport after the 2009 floods. It is considering a two-hourly service to Cockermouth and Maryport in future.
First published at 12:58, Friday, 11 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|