Firns hardware shop in Cockermouth sold
Last updated at 13:31, Friday, 15 February 2013
A hardware company which has been in the same family for more than seven decades has been sold.
Firns Home Hardware, on Station Street, was opened by George Firn in 1939 and then passed on to his son-in-law Paul Carr, who ran it for more than 30 years.
Mr Carr put the business up for sale last September to take retirement with wife Hilary, who also worked there.
It has now been sold to brother and sister Justin and Julie Laidlow, who were both born in Cockermouth.
Julie, 50, of Crown Street, a town councillor, previously worked for 12 years at Fairfield Garage in Cockermouth. Justin is returning from Scotland where he owns a convenience store.
Firns will continue to run as a hardware store and all the employees are being kept on.
Julie said: “My brother wanted to come back to Cockermouth for a long time and wanted me to keep a look out for something suitable that we could run as a business. Firns was perfect because it was long established and has become part of Cockermouth.”
Mr and Mrs Carr and their son James, who works at the store, will stay on until the end of the month to ensure a smooth transition.
Mr Carr will then take retirement as he and his wife have recently become grandparents. Mrs Carr HAS also got the all-clear after she contracted breast cancer last February.
The couple plan to buy a camper van and travel, and Mr Carr hopes to research his family tree.
He said: “I am delighted that a local family is taking over and wish Julie and Justin all the best for the future.”
He also thanked customers for their support over the years.
First published at 13:28, Friday, 15 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Lake District's World Heritage status bid moves forward (5 comments)
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (133 comments)
- St Bees School set to reopen next year (45 comments)
- Two new housing schemes tabled for Carlisle (17 comments)
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (34 comments)
- Cumbria's children's service still failing (42 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (104 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|