Deal means industrial action at National Nuclear Lab is off
Last updated at 12:09, Friday, 09 March 2012
Industrial action at a Sellafield research laboratory has been called off.
Seventy staff at the National Nuclear Laboratory had begun working to rule and adhering to an overtime ban in a row over pay.
But the workforce has now accepted a pay deal offering rises of between three and six per cent in exchange for two extra hours of work a week, with a two per cent back-dating.
Lab bosses claimed the action was aimed at disrupting “strategically critical work” possibly damaging customer relationships which could result in significant financial losses.
They reserved the right to issue High Court proceedings against employees seen to be in breach of contract.
Unite union regional organiser Alan Westnedge said: “We have reached a resolution and our members are working normally again.”
GMB and Prospect members had already agreed deals.
NNL recently won a multi-million pound contract connected to safety work at eight UK nuclear power stations on top of another major deal with the European Space Agency.
First published at 11:28, Friday, 09 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)