Carlisle biscuits factory makes new cracker just for Australia
Last updated at 13:30, Thursday, 21 February 2013
Carlisle's United Biscuits factory has launched a range of Carr’s crackers specifically for the Australian market.
They will be sold through Coles, one of the leading food retailers in Australia.
United Biscuits already sells its world-famous Carr’s Table Water Biscuits through Coles.
It has been working closely with the retailer for the past year to further develop the range, which is manufactured exclusively at the Caldewgate site.
There are now six products – Carr’s Biscuits for Cheese, two varieties of Flat Breads, Carr’s Cheese Melts and two varieties of Carr’s Table Water Biscuits.
Carr’s Table Water Biscuits first appeared in 1905 as a refinement of the traditional ship’s biscuit. Water was used instead of fat to blend the dry ingredients in order to keep the biscuits fresh on long sea voyages.
Nowadays Carr’s biscuits are themselves exported around the globe. Three-quarters of the output is exported. Consignments from Cumbria take around eight weeks to reach Australia.
The Carlisle factory produces around 6,000-tonnes – or 1.1 billion – of the world-famous biscuits each year. United Biscuits estimates that about 70 per cent are consumed with cheese.
First published at 13:27, Thursday, 21 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (43 comments)
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (46 comments)
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (108 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (17 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (12 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|