Body found in Cumbrian river
Last updated at 14:40, Thursday, 15 May 2014
Police are supporting the family of a missing man after a body was found in a river earlier today.
John Allen, 76, of Preston, went missing at around 9am on April 28 at Ravenglass Estuary.
A major search involving police, coastguard, Cumbria Fire and Rescue, CNC, National Police Air Service, and mountain rescue teams took place.
Police said a "male body" had been found in the river at Muncaster.
It was reported to them at 12.50pm.
Formal identification has not yet taken place and inquiries are on-going.
A force statement added: "The family of missing person John Allen have been notified and are being supported at this time."
The coroner will be informed.
First published at 14:32, Thursday, 15 May 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (55 comments)
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (47 comments)
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (109 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (18 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (13 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"