Biker flown to Newcastle hospital after crash
Last updated at 17:32, Thursday, 17 July 2014
A motorcyclist was airlifted to hospital with serious injuries after a crash with a car.
The 45-year-old was being treated in the Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle, following the collision, which closed the main road from Carlisle to west Cumbria.
Although serious, his injuries, said to affect his upper-body, are not thought to be life-threatening.
The crash happened on the A595 at its junction with the B5305, near Wigton, at 1.15pm. The road reopened shortly before 5pm.
It involved a black and red Yamaha motorbike ridden by the injured man, from Cockermouth, and a red Hyundai i10, driven by a 71-year-old woman from Wigton. She was not hurt.
Speaking at the scene, Sgt Darren Bowden, from Cumbria police’s operational support unit, said the rider had been travelling from Workington towards Carlisle.
The road was closed for about an hour while the man was treated and airlifted by the Great North Air Ambulance’s Pride of Cumbria helicopter and the scene cleared.
An investigation into the cause of the collision was been launched.
First published at 13:44, Thursday, 17 July 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (38 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (29 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (7 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (13 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (13 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (16 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (48 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (46 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (13 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (57 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)