Rider falls down ditch after being knocked off scooter by car
Last updated at 11:04, Monday, 07 May 2012
A biker fell six feet down a ditch after being knocked off his bike on the main road through west Cumbria.
His blue scooter was in collision with a car on the A595 at Gosforth on Saturday night.
It was one of two separate crashes within the space of an hour along the busy road.
The biker, from the Seascale area, sustained serious leg injuries and was taken by ambulance to Whitehaven’s West Cumberland Hospital.
The road was closed for nearly four hours while police investigators worked to determine the cause of the crash, which happened at about 7.10pm at New Mill.
The car, a Ford Focus, was being driven by a local woman, who was uninjured. Her male passenger, also from the Gosforth area, was also unhurt though both were said to be suffering from shock.
The collision happened just 40 minutes after a car overturned elsewhere on the A595. This happened at about 6.30pm on the Distington bypass.
The car involved was a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. Police said the car was travelling towards Workington when it left the road and flipped over onto its roof.
The driver, a 23-year-old man from the Whitehaven area, suffered an arm injury and shock. His female passenger was also in shock. They were both taken to hospital by ambulance for check ups.
Firefighters were called to the scene following reports the vehicle was on fire.
However it was out on arrival and the man and woman had managed to get out of the car. The crew helped make the scene safe.
The road was closed northbound, towards Workington, until about 10.45pm while the car was recovered.
A man was taken to hospital after falling off his bike while cycling behind the Bluebell Inn pub at Dalston.
It happened at about 9pm on Saturday. Firefighters were called out to assist paramedics. They helped carry the injured man across a field to the ambulance.
First published at 09:12, Monday, 07 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)