Big Fat Gypsy TV star is Cumbria car boot sale guest star
Last updated at 11:51, Saturday, 22 September 2012
You wouldn’t normally expect to see a lavish fairytale gown at a car boot sale – but you will in Egremont.
Thelma Madine, best known for creating flamboyant, sequin-encrusted dresses in Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, is bringing one to the town next weekend.
The dress designer, from Liverpool, is appearing at the car boot sale at Egremont Market Hall and has agreed to showcase one of her sparkling creations.
She will auction off signed copies of her book Tales of the Gypsy Dressmaker.
Thelma, who was more recently on TV in a spin-off series where she employs travelling girls as apprentices, confirmed on Twitter yesterday she would be coming to Egremont.
Proceeds from the sale and auction will go to Galgo, a charity that rescues abandoned and mistreated Spanish greyhounds. It is a cause particularly close to the heart of Angela Wilson, of Moor Row, who has paid for two mistreated greyhounds, Caremelo and Sugus, to be transported overseas from the shelter to her home.
Angela says she is delighted that TV star Thelma is coming to Egremont to support the cause.
She said: “I was quite shocked, I never thought she would come up here to help. She is definitely coming up as she’s been looking for a model to wear the dress.”
The visit came after a mutual friend of the pair asked Thelma if she would like to help and she agreed.
She has sent five paperbacks and one hardback copy of her book to organisers.
A variety of car boot stalls will also be on offer at the sale which takes place between 12pm and 4pm.
First published at 10:50, Saturday, 22 September 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (22 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (44 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (40 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (139 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years