Arsonists cause £10,000 damage at Keswick chip shop
Last updated at 11:58, Monday, 30 July 2012
Arsonists caused damage costing more than £10,000 after a spate of attacks on wheelie bins ended up spreading to the outside of a chip shop in the Lakes.
The Old Keswickian in Market Square, Keswick, is still open for business but bosses have been forced to close a downstairs cafe after an electrical box caught alight and was left wrecked.
The damage was caused after four bins were set alight in the town centre in the early hours of Saturday.
One of these was close to the chip shop, popular with residents and the hordes of tourists visiting Keswick.
Alan Simpson, proprietor, said: “In the early hours of Saturday morning I got a phone call off the fire brigade.
“I came down and it had done quite a bit of damage outside and a little bit of smoke damage inside through the ventilation shafts.
“The takeaway is fine, the upstairs restaurant is fine but the downstairs restaurant is shut.”
He added: “I can’t see how somebody can get a kick out of setting wheelie bins on fire.
“None of us were angels when we were young but something like that would never have crossed my mind.”
A police spokesman said: “Officers are investigating a number of arson attacks on wheelie bins within Keswick town centre.”
Police are appealing for information on 101.
First published at 11:20, Monday, 30 July 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (8 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)