2,000 take part in gruelling Born Survivor event in Cumbria
Last updated at 11:41, Tuesday, 08 April 2014
More than 2,000 hardy souls completed a gruelling military-style obstacle course in the grounds of Lowther Castle near Penrith – including two in wheelchairs.
It was the second Born Survivor event to be held in Cumbria, with almost double the number of competitors over the weekend as last year.
It was the brainchild of an ex-Royal Marines’ Commando and Falkland’s veteran, and featured more than 30 specially designed obstacles along a 10km course.
With the help of Lancaster based VVV Health Club, Shaun Gash and Andy Hartley completed the Born Survivor course in their wheelchairs in aid of Lancaster Bulldogs’ junior basketball club.
The club is raising money to buy equipment specially designed to help disabled children to take part.
Speaking at the finish line Mr Gash said: “Twenty-three years in a wheelchair and, apart from marriage and the birth of my kids, this has been the greatest moment of my life.
“It was an awesome day out and we’d like to thank Born Survivor for allowing us to take part this way.
“Raising money for charity is always tough and making our challenges more extreme, like we did today, helps us raise more money for Lancaster Bulldogs, which is such a worthy cause.
“The only problem now is I’ve got to go home to wash my wheelchair.”
With nine waves of up to 350 people setting off every half hour, the course started and finished at the Born Survivor event village, where there was food, drink, entertainment and live music for both participants and the estimated 1,000 spectators.
Matt Leigh, Born Survivor’s general manager, said, “We’re delighted to have staged another incredible day for our participants at the magnificent Lowther Castle.
“This is only our second event and further to the success of last year we’ve been able to double the number of those taking part.
“We had individuals and groups from across the UK join us on the day, with some teams bringing over 100 people each.
“We attracted an increased range of abilities, including two exceptionally tough athletes who, with the help of a dedicated team, completed the course in wheelchairs.”
He added that they were already planning the next Born Survivor event at Capesthorne Hall near Manchester on 27th September 27.
First published at 11:37, Tuesday, 08 April 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (22 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (44 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (40 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (139 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years