£16,000 benefits fiddle woman spared jail
Last updated at 10:53, Sunday, 19 May 2013
A Workington mum has been given a suspended jail sentence after she admitted dishonestly claiming benefits worth more than £16,000.
Nichola Katherine Edgar spent just over a year and a half claiming income support, council tax benefit, and housing benefit that she wasn’t entitled to.
West Allerdale Magistrates’ Court in Workington heard that she got into trouble because she failed to tell Allerdale Council that she was “maintaining a common household” with a man called John Huges.
The authorities judged that he was in a position to offer her financial support which would have affected her benefits. But she failed as required to reveal that she was living with him during the period concerned.
The total amount of benefits deemed to have been overpaid during the fraud was £16,350. The Department for Work and Pensions will recover the entire amount.
In court, Edgar, from Ruby Road, Salterbeck, entered guilty pleas to all three benefit fraud offences.
After hearing details of the case, magistrates imposed a 60-day jail term but agreed to suspend it for a year. They said the suspended jail term was justified because of the prolonged period over which the benefits were illegally claimed.
Edgar was represented by KJ Commons defence solicitor Craig Smith.
First published at 10:43, Sunday, 19 May 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (31 comments)
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (45 comments)
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (106 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (17 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (12 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"