15ft-deep hole opens up outside Carlisle pub
Last updated at 12:05, Thursday, 06 March 2014
A van driver got the fright of his life when he drove onto a paved area outside a derelict Carlisle pub.
For a 15ft-deep hole opened up beneath one of his wheels, leaving the vehicle teetering on the brink outside the Railway Inn at the edge of the pavement on London Road.
Fortunately, the driver was able to pull his van out of harm’s way. But the hole, several feet wide and now safely fenced off, remains, revealing part of the cellar beneath the former pub.
Chris Crouch, 38, who works at HSS Hire opposite the pub building, said: “Tradesmen have often parked outside the front of the pub.
“I’ve been told that somebody parked there and found their van teetering on the edge of the hole.
“It’s not a sink hole. It’s just the cellar that’s caved in.”
Several of the sandstone slabs which originally formed part of the forecourt have tumbled into the cellar, along with other debris.
Locals who live near the pub say it became a regular haunt for homeless people after it closed some years ago. Formerly a hotel serving the city’s original railway station, it became one of Carlisle’s best known pubs.
Much of the building is now semi-derelict.
First published at 11:40, Thursday, 06 March 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)