11 rescued from snowy Cumbrian pass as roads are closed
Last updated at 14:48, Saturday, 01 February 2014
Eleven people were rescued from cars trapped in snow on Kirkstone Pass as winter storms struck.
Three people were hurt following a two vehicle road traffic collision.
Kirkstone Pass was closed yesterday due to snow.
Police have advised that the road will remain closed for the rest of today and will be assessed again tomorrow.
Langdale and Ambleside and Patterdale mountain rescue teams were called to help the North West Ambulance Service after the ambulance sent to the crash became stuck in snow.
A spokesman for Langdale and Ambleside said: “One person was evacuated with back injuries and there were two walking wounded.
“Approximately eight other people were evacuated from the road because it was blocked by the snow and crashed vehicles.
“It would be fair to say that the road was not in any condition to be used before the collision occurred.”
A yellow warning for high winds for Cumbria from the Met Office remains in place today. Heavy rain is due later today, tailing off tomorrow, but no more snow is imminent.
Police have also confirmed the A5087 between Rampside and Newbiggin is closed due to high sea levels and debris being washed onto road.
And Hardknott and Wrynose Passes are considered closed due to icy road conditions.
The B5300 at Dubmill Point Allonby is also closed due to the high tide and strong winds diversions are in place.
First published at 07:22, Saturday, 01 February 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)