United's Abbott pledges squad will stay strong
Last updated at 09:51, Saturday, 09 June 2012
CARLISLE United boss Greg Abbott has pledged his squad will be just as strong next season, even if more of his out-of-contract stars decide to quit the club.
Abbott is braced for further departures when he gets final answers from Lubo Michalik, Peter Murphy, Frank Simek, James Berrett and Tom Taiwo.
The Blues boss hopes the situation will finally be resolved over the weekend and has promised to update fans on Monday – but has already hinted that not all the five will be staying.
Yet Abbott also insisted that he is also ready to step up his bid to make new signings who will make United stronger. Talks with two potential new signings are at an advanced stage and Abbott said: “Come the first game of the season we will have a strong squad.
“The two players we have in mind will be decent players and give us strength.
“In the past Gary Madine, Danny Graham, Ian Harte, Richard Keogh, Keiren Westwood, Karl Hawley and Joe Garner have all gone out of contract and we have always managed during my tenure to come back and rebuild and have a squad that is capable of improving.
“The optimistic message is that we can come back – whatever the outcome of these contract negotiations – and we will have a squad that will yet again go and compete and cause people problems.”
Abbott plans to push through deals to bring in two new players next week regardless of whether the five out-of-contract players decide to stay.
Of the five, the biggest question mark hangs over Michalik, who has been linked with both Hibernian and Preston.
There is rumoured interest in other members of the undecided group, with Francois Zoko having already snubbed new terms and left the club.
Abbott had initially set the group a 30-day spell to make their decisions, which ran out on Thursday. But the Blues manager has extended the period over the weekend to finalise discussions.
Danny Livesey and young keeper Mark Gillespie are the only two players who have agreed new contracts so far this summer.
First published at 08:55, Saturday, 09 June 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League Two 2014-15
- League and cup results 2014-15
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (83 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (27 comments)
- Carlisle residents too scared to walk down road without footpath (22 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (41 comments)
- New Marks & Spencer store in Carlisle will create 55 jobs (17 comments)