Powell: Charlton had been tracking Carlisle Utd target Cook all summer
Last updated at 12:09, Wednesday, 11 July 2012
Charlton boss Chris Powell revealed he made up his mind about signing Carlisle United target Jordan Cook when he saw the youngster starring for the Blues against his side.
Cook has agreed a two-year deal with Championship new-boys Charlton after rejecting the chance to return to Carlisle permanently following a successful loan spell from Sunderland.
Powell fell for Cook when he saw him impress for Carlisle in a 1-0 defeat to Charlton in April – the game which sealed the Addicks’ promotion.
Cook was in demand as a free agent, with Carlisle boss Greg Abbott and beaten Championship play-off finalists Blackpool both interested in landing the versatile forward.
Powell said: “We’ve been tracking him all summer.
“He’s had a number of clubs after him, but I think he was really hanging out for us, and I’m pleased that it’s happened. Jordan first came to our attention a couple of seasons back. In my first six months here, he was on loan at Walsall and gave us a few problems.
“You take notice of players and then we saw him in a few games last year for Carlisle and also for Sunderland.
“He played exceptionally well for Carlisle against us in the game that ultimately won us promotion. He did some good things in that game, which I have watched again on DVD.”
After realising he was set to lose out on Cook, Abbott has switched his attentions elsewhere as he seeks to bolster his squad which went close to securing a play-off place last season.
The Blues boss had hoped to hear from a signing target this week, and it is understood another forward is his key priority.
First published at 11:25, Wednesday, 11 July 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Carlisle venue defends promotion of top comic's show after low turn-out (29 comments)
- Story Homes pledges to fund village school if new Carlisle estate approved (15 comments)
- Carlisle GP backs calls to legalise hard drugs (10 comments)
- Warning as 1,800 council jobs hang in the balance (83 comments)
- Parks ban would make smokers outcasts in society, says senior Carlisle councillor (13 comments)