Portsmouth boss could rip up new formation for Carlisle clash
Last updated at 11:01, Saturday, 16 February 2013
Portsmouth manager Guy Whittingham could rip up his new formation over fears Carlisle United will pile on the misery today.
Pompey switched to a new system in Tuesday night’s 0-0 draw Hartlepool with Whittingham playing a three-pronged attack. But the caretaker boss might tinker with his side again to deal with the threat of Carlisle, who defeated them 4-2 earlier this season.
He said: “Carlisle beat us at their place at the start of the season, so we know it will be a decent side coming down to play at Fratton Park. We’ll certainly have to be at our best if we want to pick up three points.
“We played with three men in attack at Hartlepool on Tuesday and looked to be more solid. That obviously paid dividends.
“But that won’t necessarily be the system we use against Carlisle. We look at every side we play closely and adapt our tactics accordingly.
“The draw at Hartlepool during the week gave us something to build on. Now we want to remain competitive and pick up a victory against Carlisle.”
Portsmouth are mired in the League One relegation zone, and a court hearing this week to clear the way for the Pompey Supporters’ Trust to take over the club was postponed for another week.
First published at 10:42, Saturday, 16 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- League and cup results 2013-14
- League One 2013-14
- League and cup results 2012-13
- League One 2012-13
- League and cup results 2011-12
- League One 2011-12
- League and cup results 2010-11
- League One 2010-11
- League and cup results 2009-10
- League One 2009-10
- League and cup results 2008-09
- League One 2008-09
- League and cup results 2007-08
- League One 2007-08
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Mission to lure tourists to Cumbria from China
- Wine festival drums up business for Cumbrian pub
- New managing director announced for Sellafield
- College focuses on honing science skills for industry
- Teen forges metalwork role
- Findings give GSK healthy lead in access to medicines
- New Sellafield boss has ‘unrivalled knowledge’
- First job as cook paved way for a cottage industry
- Hotspots for employment
- Firms win new fans through backing for football club site
- Firefighters extinguished Barrow flat blaze in the early hours
- Police appeal after rider knocked off moped in Barrow
- Knifeman who made threats to kill lover jailed by Carlisle court
- Police hunt for 'high risk' missing Cumbrian teenager
- X Factor winner Matt Cardle and a host of stars shine at biggest Barrow Christmas Lights Switch On
- Cyclist needed stitches after Cumbria collision
- Carlisle singer's group voted out of X Factor
- Fell runner attacked by man with stick in Cumbria
- Hospital services fight song for sale on iTunes
- Courageous cancer battler cheered by tumour news